Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Interview With Writer Craig Smith

Greetings Bloggers and Readers.

Today we are doing something a bit different today.  It's time for a guest blog.

We are going to interview fantasy writer Craig Smith.  




He is based in Paarl, South Africa and I threw 10 questions at him.
Let's see how he did.

1.  How did you become a writer?


I've always had a very active imagination and made things up in my head from ever since I could
remember. Often bugging friends and family with the weird things I came up with. Around 19 years old I walked past my bookshelf and realized if all these people can make it so can I!

2.  Any tips for would be authors? 


Write about what interests you.   Start off with short stories. It's a good way to learn the craft. Try
join a writing group. A more active one the better. Take their feedback to heart, but like with all advice take things with a pinch of salt.

3.  Tell us about your latest book? 


Zoolin Vale and the Chalice of Ringtar is my latest book. It was released in December 2010. It's a
quite a mouthful isn't it? It's a follow on from my first book The Red Stone


It's a fantasy adventure novel suitable for all ages, but
younger readers do seem to enjoy it the most. It has everything from
wizards, trolls, ogres to dragons in it. It's a good place for people
new to fantasy to start. And it should have a few new things to keep a
more experienced fantasy reader's attention.


4.  I see you are also a avid blogger, what's the secret to blogging?

Engaging your audience. Give them something that will keep them coming
back for more. And if you can post samples of your work to help people
get a better idea of who you are. And try post regularly, something
I'm still working on myself.

5.  Can you give us 3 of your favourite websites and why? 


I'm sure you won't be surprised when I say Twitter. A great place to meet like
minded people. Secondly I've started using some writing groups on
Linkedin. Every one there seems to be very friendly. And of course
Facebook. I used to be junkie, but now days mostly for networking with
other writers etc.

6.  What do you do for fun? 


I guess not the most exciting stuff to do,
but I like to watch movies, series and read. In addition enjoy quad
biking, roller coasters and having fun with friends. I'm also always
up for trying something new.

7.  The beach or the countryside? 


Mmm tough question. I like a good splash at the beach, but not a big fan of sand getting in everywhere!
Countryside is great for walks and spending some time away from the buzz of city life.

8.  Favourite book and author and why? 


The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien, because it captured my imagination and I've been an avid reader ever
since. If you're an LOTR fan and you haven't read the books or The Hobbit. I highly recommend that you do!

9.  Favourite coffee shop? 


Locally I would say Mugg and Bean. Great coffee and milkshakes, but I also love a Starbucks.

10.  What's the secret to marketing your book? 


That I'm still figuring out. It's a very tough market to crack. There are tons of other
writers out there and it can be hard to stand out from the crowd, FB,
Twitter, Blogs, and Youtube are great ways to get your work out there and
connect with potential readers.


Well that was extremely interesting getting into the mind of a writer.  


Links to Craig's sites, books and pages:




The Red Stone


For Sale On Amazon Also






Zoolin


Find Craig Smith on Twitter:  Craig on Twitter


Find Craig Smith on Facebook:  Craig Smith Author Page

Visit Craig's Blog:  Craig's Blog


Thanks again Craig.
















No comments:

Post a Comment